Thursday, September 17, 2009

The Throughput Theory

As a an end-game progression level raider, one should constantly seek to improve in every way possible- To me this also includes finding different gear for different situations.
I have been somewhat limited in my capability to acquire side-grades and "to play with" pieces, thereby restricting my ability to apply more practice to the thought of a "side-spec mainset." However with the increasing availability of some unique pieces of gear in TOC, I have been beginning to entertain the idea of a "Throughput set."
The idea is based around the short fight or the fight that requires a large amount of healing. The reason behind this is Trees must find a balance between output and mana control. The throughput set would be much less focused on mana efficiency and more focused on putting out as much healing as humanly possible by sacrificing things like MP5 and spirit for raw spellpower and crit. The haste cap should always be taken care of regardless of which set of gear I'm wearing so I was far less concerned with that particular stat. The problem a Tree runs into is 'How am I going to balance the spirit that converts to spellpower in tree form with the other stats I am trying to stack?' This question deserves testing and my current short answer is: 'The amount of spellpower lost from losing 1 spirit needs to be evaluated on a piece-by-piece basis. Each fight is different as is each person's healing style and role. If you are spamming nourish the entire fight, then obviously losing 30 spirit to gain 30 crit will more than balance out. You would need to evaluate your current stats as well: if your crit is 20%, then your nourish has a 45% crit chance with 5 points in Nature's Bounty. You probably don't need more crit but as I said, you have to evaluate each fight and piece of gear individually and choose what fits best."

No comments:

Post a Comment